Confirmed candidates for the Longford-Westmeath and Dublin West by-elections

Adrian Kavanagh, 24th April 2014

With these contests taking place on the same day as the Local and European elections of May 23rd, this post lists the names of the candidates who will be contesting the Longford-Westmeath and Dublin West by-elections on this page, following the official close of nominations at 12.00pm on May 10th. Longford-Westmeath constituency (4 Seat constituency):

Fine Gael: Gabrielle McFadden

Fianna Fáil: Aengus O’Rourke

Sinn Féin: Paul Hogan

Labour Party: Denis Leonard

Independents/Others: John McNamara, Donal Jackson, Brian Fagan, James Morgan, Kevin “Boxer” Moran

It was reported that the Labour Party were likely to run Kilbeggan-based Trinity student, Conal Ennis, as their candidate. But it was then subsequently reported that he was not in a position to run in the contest due to exam pressures and it seemed likely that Labour would not contest this by-election. However Cllr. Denis Leonard has gone forward to contest this election for Labour.

In Longford-Westmeath, one of the candidates (11.1%) is female and the other eight (88.9%) are male.

Most of the candidates – with the exceptions of the Mullingar-based Fagan and Leonard, as well as Morgan (the only candidate from Longford County) – are based in the Athlone area within this constituency.

**********

Dublin West constituency (4 Seats):

Fine Gael: Eamonn Coghlan

Fianna Fáil: David McGuinness

Sinn Féin: Paul Donnelly

Labour Party: Loraine Mulligan

Socialist Party: Ruth Coppinger

Green Party: Roderic O’Gorman

Fís Nua: Daniel Boyne

Independents/Others: David Hall, John Kidd, Seán Lyons

In Dublin West, two of the candidates (20.0%) are female and the eight (80.0%) are male.

Advertisements

About Adrian Kavanagh

Lecturer in Maynooth University Department of Geography.
This entry was posted in by-election, Candidates, Gender and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

3 Responses to Confirmed candidates for the Longford-Westmeath and Dublin West by-elections

  1. Ben Nutty says:

    I can confirm that schoolteacher Daniel Boyne has been selected by Fís Nua as its by-election candidate for Dublin West.

    Best wishes,

    Ben Nutty
    National Coordinator
    Fís Nua

    • Ben Nutty says:

      Daniel Boyne’s nomination for Fís Nua has also been formally accepted by the Returning Officer for the Dublin West by election.

      Regards,

      Ben

  2. Pingback: Labouring in Vain? The Labour Party’s performance at the May 23rd elections | Irish Elections: Geography, Facts and Analyses

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s