Adrian Kavanagh, Originally posted on 20th July 2018
In a similar vein to earlier posts relating to the 2016 General Election and 2011 General Election candidates and a similar post relating to younger candidates contesting the 2014 City and County Council elections, this page seeks to list the names, and party affiliations, of all the candidates for the 2016 General Election whose ages fall in the 21-35 years age category. (Candidates whose ages fall in the 18-30 years age category will be denoted by a * – all the other candidates listed here fall into the 31-35 year age category, apart from those cases where it is not clear whether the candidates falls into the 21-30 or 31-35 age categories.)
Please note that this is an incomplete list due to difficulties in getting age-related information. Given the difficulties involved in getting age details for some candidates, the likelihood is that I will miss out on some names that should be included here, but I will do my best to ensure this list is as accurate as possible.
If you note any glaring absences (and especially if you are one of the candidates that should be listed below, or else are incorrectly listed below), then please feel free to comment below, or to Tweet me at @AdrianKavanagh or email me at email@example.com instead.
I have been compiling this list since July 2018. From the get-go, this list did not include candidates who might run or who are highly likely to run, but this list just includes party candidates who had been officially selected to run at conventions or independent candidates who have publicly declared their intention to contest the upcoming general election. I will also not add candidates onto this list until I am sure that their age details are correct.
At present (Updated: 16th January 2020), I can currently account for forty seven candidates in the 21-35 age category (10.9% of the total number of general election candidates listed so far). Sixteen (34.0%) of the candidates in this group are female and thirty one (66.0%) of the candidates in this group are male. Twenty of these candidates are in the 21-30 age category (4.6% of the total number of candidates).
A slightly higher proportion of all female candidates (11.3%) currently fall into the 21-35 age category than the proportion/percentage of all male candidates (10.7%) that do.
Political parties, to date, have selected 44 candidates (12.4% of the total number of political party candidates selected to date), who are in the 21-35 year-old age category.
As far as I can make out, the youngest selected/declared general election candidates so far are Tate Donnelly, the Green Party candidate for Cavan-Monaghan, James O’Connor, one of the Fianna Fáil candidates for Cork East, Rob O’Donnell, the Green Party candidate for Tipperary, Martha Lyons, the Sinn Féin candidate for Cork North-West, Bobby Murray-Walsh, the People Before Profit candidate for Cork South-Central, and Liam van der Spek, the Labour candidate for Cavan-Monaghan.
In terms of political parties/groupings, out of the candidates listed below:
- 9 are Green Party candidate – 23.7% of the total number of Green Party candidates (listed on the website), as of this point in time.
- 8 are Fine Gael candidates – 9.8% of the total number of Fine Gael candidates (listed on the website), as of this point in time.
- 7 are Solidarity-People Before Profit candidates – 29.2% of the total number of Solidarity and People Before Profit candidates (listed on the website), as of this point in time.
- 6 are Sinn Féin candidates – 14.0% of the total number of Sinn Fein candidates (listed on the website), as of this point in time.
- 5 are Social Democrat candidates – 25.0% of the total number of Social Democrats candidates (listed on the website) , as of this point in time.
- 5 are Fianna Fáil candidates – 6.1% of the total number of Fianna Fail candidates (listed on the website), as of this point in time.
- 1 is an Aontú candidate – 4.8% of the total number of Aontú candidates (listed on the website) , as of this point in time.
- 1 is a Workers Party candidate – 50.0% of the total number of Workers Party candidates (listed on the website), as of this point in time.
- 2 are Labour Party candidates – 6.7% of the total number of Labour Party candidates (listed on the website) , as of this point in time.
- 4 are Non Party candidate – 6.3% of the total number of Non Party/Independent candidates (listed on the website) , as of this point in time.
The list of candidates in the younger age category (aged 21-35) accounted for to date includes:
|Constitutuency||Candidates Aged 21-35|
|Carlow-Kilkenny||Adrienne Wallace* PBP, |
Patrick O’Neill FG
|Cavan-Monaghan||Liam van der Spek* LAB, |
Emmett Smith PBP,
Tate Donnelly* GP
|Cork East||James O’Connor* FF|
|Cork North Central||Sinéad Halpin SD, |
Padraig O’Sullivan FF
|Cork North West||Martha Lyons* SF|
|Cork South Central||Donnchadh Ó Laoghaire* SF, |
Lorna Bogue* GP,
Bobby Murray Walsh* PBP
|Cork South West||Holly McKeever Cairns* SD|
|Dublin Central||Gary Gannon SD, |
Éilis Ryan WP
|Dublin Mid West||Peter Kavanagh GP, |
Emer Higgins FG
|Dublin Fingal||Dean Mulligan* IND/I4C|
|Dublin Bay North|
|Dublin North West||Noel Rock FG,|
Conor Reddy* PBP
|Dublin Rathdown||Eoghan Ó Ceannabháin PBP|
|Dublin South Central||Richard Murray IND|
|Dublin Bay South|
|Dublin South West|
|Dublin West||Jack Chambers FF*, |
Aengus Ó Maoláin SD
|Dun Laoghaire||Shane O’Brien SF|
|Galway West||Niall O Tuathail SD, |
Mairéad Farrell* SF,
Mike Cubbard IND,
Joe Loughnane PBP
|Kildare South||Ronan Maher* GP|
|Limerick County||Séighin Ó Ceallaigh SF|
|Longford-Westmeath||Louise Heavin GP|
|Louth||John McGahon FG*|
|Mayo||Lisa Chambers FF, |
Saoirse McHugh* GP,
Paul Lawless* AON
|Meath East||Helen McEntee FG,|
Deirdre Geraghty-Smith FF,
Seán McCabe GP,
Annie Hoey LAB
|Roscommon-Galway||Claire Kerrane* SF, |
Julie O’Donoghue GP
|Sligo-Leitrim||Gino O’Boyle PBP,|
Thomas Walsh FG,
James Conway* IND
|Tipperary||Rob O’Donnell GP|
|Waterford||John Cummins FG|
|Wicklow||Simon Harris FG|
Please note that all candidates in the 21-30 age category (that I am aware of, of course) are denoted by an * in the table above.
I will, of course, continue to update this page when new candidate selections are added in, or when I get age details relating to other younger candidates, who need to be added to this page.